Tasting Arizona: Eat, Drink, And Be Pretty in Scottsdale
Why visit Scottsdale? Because it is home to the US' longest Running Culinary Festival!
April 8-13, 2013
Scottsdale Camelback Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona
Click here to register
- An interactive session: The Sense and Sensuality of Taste
- VIP admission to the Scottsdale Culinary Festival's Great Arizona Picnic. The theme for the picnic is Eat, Drink, and Be Pretty. You will be! You'll sample offerings from 50 Arizona restaurants offering Mexican, Asian, Indian, and Mediterranean cuisines.
- A Mexican cooking demonstration and lunch at family-owned Los Reyes de la Torta restaurant, where you'll supervise the hand-made preparation of an Agua Fresca made to your specifications.
- Tour the HG Coors Dinnerware Factory to get a bird's eye view of all facets of producing restaurant grade china production. You'll paint your own plate for a special souvenir.
- Exploration of the outdoor Sonoran Desert Museum and enjoy a fresh food lunch at the on-site Ironwood restaurant. Head server, Alejandro, will walk us through the Arizona locavar menu.
- Guided tour of a Mercado to see foods, spices, and produce that are the keynotes of authentic Mexican cuisine.
- Free time to explore the quaint shops of Scottsdale Old Town, enjoy museums and art galleries, or take in the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens and other Southwestern attractions.
- Leisure time at the world class Scottsdale Camelback Resort in sun-drenched Arizona. Take advantage of the beautiful saltwater pool, spa, and on-site activities including the tai chi in the meditation garden, yoga, water aerobics, and poolside games. You can also arrange special outings through the concierge (fees may apply).
- Lodging for 6 days and 7 nights in loft villas.
- 6 lunches and a farewell dinner.
- All ground transportation, including personalized airport pick-up and return
- 26 Pre-approved CEUs for RDs
- Full Concierge services for participants with companions and families --Schedule a round of golf on a world-class golf course; take a side trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona or Tombstone; plan an overnight getaway to the high country of Flagstaff; explore the red rock country and vortices of Sedona; view spectacular wilderness scenery during a Verde Canyon rail trip. The resort concierge can help with these or many other activities.
Full Registration: $1778, double occupancy* (not including airfare). Includes all ground transportation, program activities, gifts, and materials.
Companion Registration: $1200 for companions of participants. Registration includes double occupancy room, personalized airport pick-up and return, interactive session: The Sense and Sensuality of Taste, and resort activities.
* Villas can sleep up to 4 people. Registration for up to 2 additional guests (for a total of 4 in the condo) is $725 each. Registration includes room, personalized airport pick-up and return, interactive session: The Sense and Sensuality of Taste, and resort activities.
Click here to register
Contact Sheila Campbell for more arrangements for registration and purchase options
Proposed Schedule for Tasting Arizona: Eat, Drink, and Be Pretty in Scottsdale
Relax after your travels in your luxurious Scottsdale Camelback villa, explore the grounds, enjoy a poolside dinner, and end the day by star gazing from the hot tub.
9AM Orientation to “Tasting Arizona"
10AM The Sense and Sensuality of Taste Interactive Session
11 AM Patio lunch at the gourmet eatery, Herb Box restaurant. We'll be treated to a presentation from the Chef about their focus on home-grown foods and products. Not included but highly recommended--a special, exotic herb-infused "adult beverage", yum. After lunch, we'll visit the Herb Box Market prior to a free afternoon for exploring Old Town Scottsdale, taking a trolley tour, or enjoying other activities of your choice.
Noon Authentic Mexican lunch and cooking demonstration at Los Reyes de la Torta, a family owned Mexican restaurant. We'll learn to make corn tortillas, table sauce, pureed fruit beverages, and agua frescas.
2 PM Mercado tour, demonstration of tortilla and bread baking machines plus samples of various Mexican confections and breads.
7 AM Full day Tucson excursion to Tucson
9AM Tour the HG Coors Dinnerware Factory. See all facets of restaurant grade china production at one of the few remaining American factories producing dinnerware from starting clay to hand-painted finish. Make your own hand-painted plate to take home. You can buy more too. They just won't be a special as the one you make.
Noon Lunch, locovorism presentation and touring at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.
The desert museum covers 21 acres of beautiful desert and features Sonoran Desert plants and animals. Among other spectacular sights, you'll be able to see a hummingbird sitting on her pea-sized eggs in the Humming Bird Aviary.
Lunch at the elegant Ironwood Restaurant on the Sonora Desert Museum grounds features locovorism at its best. The master chef will discuss how the restaurant uses local foods and native plants. We’ll start our meal with a Napoli cactis appetizer and Alejandro's signature Prickly Pear Sparkler.
4:30 PM Farewell dinner at El Encanto Mexican Restaurant in historic Cave Creek, AZ. Join us in the quaint patio awash in the afternoon sun, and exuding Hispanic hospitality with colorful murals, exotic desert landscaping and strings of festival lights overhead. We'll feast on authentic Tex-Mex, Mexican and Spanish dishes to commemorate our last night together in Arizona.
9AM Cap off your sun-drenched week in Arizona with a VIP experience at the Scottsdale Culinary Festival featuring 50 of Arizona's best restaurants, and chefs' demonstrations throughout the day. As you saunter and sample, you'll enjoy live music at three different stages and have access to all Picnic specialty areas, including the SKYY Bar, Tequila Experience, Southwest Festival of Beer and the Picnic After Party. And here's a special treat--your VIP Experience also includes a one- year subscription to Food & Wine magazine!